Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Podcast Recommendation: Stuff Mom Never Told You

I have to admit it: I'm a sucker for a good informative podcast on something I know nothing about.  So, when I found the Stuff Mom Never Told You podcast, I was giddy.  Molly and Cristin discuss what could be broadly termed as "women's issues."  As the primary caregiver of a precocious 2-year-old female, I was more than a little intrigued.  At some point in the future, I'll be expected to understand things like acne, bras, Title 9 and why she's attracted to that "bad boy" who lives down the block.  As the guy who takes care of two fantastic females, I need to learn a bit about women's health, gender-based discrimination in schools and the workplace, and what masculine and feminine really mean in a post-modern framework.  This podcast helps me serve my ladies better.  It is eye opening (did you know there is no physiological or medical reason women need to wear bras at all?), counter-intuitive (did you know how shoddy the science is that supports "breast is best"?), and sometimes just weird (did you know the size of the human foot has been increasing rapidly over only the past 200 years?).

They are somewhat "third wave" in their approach, which makes good clear answers on some issues hard to articulate.  On other issues, such as adult acne, the history of the purse, and the origins of the term "cougar" (referring to an ... oh you know what a cougar is), their research is much more concrete and complete.  They do an okay job of presenting multiple sides and opinions on whatever topic they are addressing, even if their tone of voice lets you know how much credibility they are giving to one opinion or another.

For dads and husbands, I would definitely recommend this little window into the issues and concerns that our wives and daughters have dealt or will be dealing with.  For all the ladies out there, I'd recommend it because there are probably some myths you've been holding on to for most of your lives that have no basis in actual fact (NO you and your girl-friends' cycles did NOT sync up in college), and there are probably some things you've suspected your whole lives that you will learn are pretty much true (yup - men lose weight more easily).

No comments:

Post a Comment