Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so darn good!

I mean really! I have to pull back a little or I'll end up doing here what happened back in Virginia. Namely - "We don't have to worry about anything, 'cause Zuke is so darn good!" Let's look at the facts:
  • Going in to last nights event, everyone here on staff was freaking out about it, myself included. And frankly, if I was not on staff here there would have been moments last night that would have been painful and awkward. I am an EmCee by nature. Put me in front of a large group of people (it does not matter how old they are) and I'll charm the socks off them and give them an enjoyable experience.
  • I had previously predicted a number of the challenges that arose last night. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that 30 minutes is not enough time for dinner (fer crying out loud!).
  • Please take note: I have been in this position for a month and a half and feel like I have my stuff together better than people who have been here for years.

GAH! If I'm not careful, I'll end up being "indispensible" to the success of anything we do here. I don't want that (though it offers substantial job security). I don't want to have to be physically present at every event - I'll end up working 60 hours a week if I do. That might be fine for people who have a problem setting boundaries and letting go. That might be fine for people who come to work to escape their home life. But neither of those statements describe me. I love my job, but I love my life away from my job too. Frankly, no one at work is half as important to me as my darlin'. Heck - I almost rate my dog above my job (almost, but not quite).

Anyway - I think I need to bring other people into active roles at our events. I'll start tonight. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment