Thursday, June 30, 2005

I'd hate to stand out in a negative way...

I’m a little pissed off right now. And I struggle again with self-censorship as I am angry with an individual. The person with whom I am currently angry is someone who finds her/himself unable to be nice. S/he is unable to write an email expressing concern with one thing or another without simultaneously being threatening and rude. S/he will remain unnamed. And in a supreme effort to remain charitable and thereby avoid going to confession this weekend, I am going to delete most of what I just wrote and rant about something – anything – unrelated to the gut-wrenching situation in which I now find myself.

And so:

An interesting thing happened when I went to set up the Post Office today to show a friend around the little town of Centreville. There were names attached to the doors of each room. This struck me as curious. Now, I don’t know whose idea this was, and I assume it was the postmaster or his associate. I will send each of them a separate email.

You know, I’m all for people taking initiative but this is something that steps outside of their roles. Other than facilitating the orderly delivery of the nation’s mail, everything else can and should wait. I ask that they please remove all these signs immediately. My impression was that my guest – their new customer whom they should be bending over backwards to cater to – was not impressed.

Just for their benefit, I ask that they please remember that my friend and I are different people. I have told the Post Office a few times that they need to wait, listen, and follow my friend’s lead. They need to give him a chance to get a handle on things around here. This is an overwhelming situation to walk into, so trust me, the Post Office does not want to stand out in a negative way.

If they have questions, my advice to them is to just make a list and wait for him to meet with them.


The preceding makes little sense to just about everybody. But it makes perfect sense to at least one person. If you have any questions about the preceding, please feel free to IM me or email me and I will explain in all clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment